How can I become close to Allah?
In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh
The desire within you to attain closeness to Allah Ta’āla is a gift and Tawfiq from Allah Ta’ala. Value the thought and act upon it without any hesitation before the thought escapes your heart and you lose the Tawfiq to practice upon it. May Allah grant all of us his Ma’rifat (gnosis) and Mahabbah (divine love). Aameen.
There are two things:
1. Islaahe Nafs
Islaah-e-Nafs is Fardh (obligatory) whereas, Bay’ah is Sunnah.
The purpose of Bay’ah is reformation. If one is able to reform himself, then the purpose of Bay’ah is achieved. However, from a practical point of view, it is difficult for a person to reform his own self. It is, therefore, advisable for one wishing to reform himself to identify a compatible spiritual guide to help him reform himself.
For further information on the topic you may read the following book, What is the reality of Bay’ah and Spiritual Reformation?
In the meanwhile, we advise you to do the following;
- Constantly remind yourself of the purpose of your existence – the worship of Allah.
- Contemplate on the virtues of making Ibaadah and the punishments we have been warned against,
- Perform your five salaah with punctuality.
- Abstain from all sins. If you commit a sin make Taubah immediately.
- Ponder over death,
- Constantly cry and beg to Allah Ta’ala to assist you in becoming a perfect Muslim,
- Recite a specified portion of the Qur’an daily.
- Be punctual in doing your morning and evening Azkaar
And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best
Mufti Ebrahim Desai
Darul Mahmood | darulmahmood.net