I need help with the following :
– I need to take Bay’at to a Shaykh to help me stay with Istiqaamat in my Deen but fail to know how to go about choosing a Shaykh? I was told to take someone of same temperament etc how do I determine this? I know from which place I would like to take bay’at InshaAllah but they are so many Shaykh in that place, how do I chose? How do I perform Istikhaarah for it?
– I’m addicted to watching YouTube videos. I really want to stop but find it very hard to. Please advise
– I have Umri Qadha Salah to do. I wasn’t praying till 18 so I have quiet a few years to replace. Please advice how I must go about it without feeling overwhelmed yet with the hope of finishing before passing away.
Please make Dua for my Imaan I really feel like a hypocrite and I’m not saying that out of humbleness. My outward and so called “deeni title” doesn’t match my inward and privacy. Really hoping for help.
In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh
We commend you on your concern for your Imaan. This feeling of yours is the first step to your reformation.
1) At the outset, one should understand that taking Bayah is Sunnah. However, reforming one’s self is Fardh. Merely taking Bayah is not the objective, rather ones aim should be to have connection with a pious person who is experienced in the field of Islaah and reformation and to reform yourself under his guidance. The Sheikh should be a person of Taqwa (piety) and an embodiment of Sunnah.
Our advice to you is that before taking Bayah, you should listen to the discourses of the different Mashaikh and communicate with whoever you are inclined to, through permissible means.
After this, if you feel your heart inclining more to Allah Ta’ala and good deeds, you may consider taking Bayah to him.
We also advise you to read the discourses on Qasidah Burdah by our Honorable Ustaad, Mufti Ebrahim Desai Saheb. In the second chapter, there is a discussion on Bayah etc. You may access the audio via the following link: https://daruliftaa.net/qaseeda-burdah/
We advise you to read Salatul Istikharah and make Duaa to Allah Ta’ala to guide you to whichever Sheikh is best for you. Also, daily read Salaatul Haajat and make Duaa to Allah Ta’ala to guide you and for Istiqamat in Deen. You should also seek the permission/advise of your father or husband before taking Bayah.
2) In order to quit the bad habit of watching these videos, sincere effort and Duaa is required. Make a determined intention to stop and apply pressure on your Nafs. Whenever you fall into it again, make Taubah and renew your intention. Never lose hope in the mercy of Allah Ta’ala.
3) One easy way of completing Qadha Salaah without overwhelming yourself, is to perform one Qadha with each Fard Salaah. For example, with each days Zuhr Salaah, also perform Qadha of one missed Zuhr. This is a minimum amount, you may read more if you have more time.
When making Qadha, it is necessary to specify the exact date of the Salaah for which one is performing Qadha of. If you are not sure, then you could make intention that you are performing Qadha of the first or last e.g. Zuhr Salaah that you missed. It is also important to keep record of all Qadha Salaah that you read.
We make Duaa that Allah Ta’ala guide you, make it easy for you and grant you Istiqaamat in Deen. Ameen
And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best
Mufti Ebrahim Desai
Darul Mahmood | darulmahmood.net