Five Steps to Stay Away from Sins
1. Acknowledge that you have a problem. If you acknowledge that you have a problem, then you will make an effort to look for a solution. That is a stepping stone for change and reformation.
2. Make Taubah and Istighfaar. Say to yourself that I have erred, made a mistake and regret my actions … now let me turn to Allah Ta’ala. Ask Allah Ta’ala for forgiveness. Every human being errs, but the best of those that err are those who make Taubah.
3. Turn to Allah. Those who have trespassed their limitations and violated the laws of Allah Ta’ala, Allah Ta’ala Himself says to them, “Don’t be despondent … Don’t lose hope in the Rahmah and Mercy of Allah Ta’ala…come to Me, I will forgive you!”
4. Change your company. If there is intermingling of sexes and we have weaknesses with the opposite gender, stay away from that company and everything that is evil and immoral.
5. Look for a spiritual guide. Somebody that can help you and assist you to get closer to Almighty Allah and cleanse yourself. Having a doctor for a physical ailment is important but having a spiritual guide for spiritual ailments is just as important.
Q & A | Mufti Ebrahim Desai
Darul Mahmood | darulmahmood.net